With the launch of the revamped New Player Experience we’re finally ready to welcome the potentially massive number of new players that being Greenlit on Steam means. It’s been a long road to this point, and we’re excited to see what the future brings. However there’s one last change that we haven’t mentioned before as this one is different from the previous upgrades to Perpetuum.
Payment model change
During and since our Steam Greenlight campaign we’ve gathered a lot of feedback from players not familiar with the game. This feedback was overwhelmingly positive, however there was a single recurring complaint that we couldn’t ignore. We’ve thought and talked about this for a long time before coming to a decision, and in the end we decided that the best chance for Perpetuum to grow with this new audience is to do something about the subscription system.
On April the 2nd, as a last step in preparation for our upcoming Steam launch, Perpetuum is going to change its payment model.
The subscription model will be dropped in favor of a single purchase when players join the world of Perpetuum, and augmented with optional in-game purchases of previously unavailable services and cosmetic upgrades. The price of the single and final purchase of the game will be comparable to 3 months of subscription time in the past: 28.99 USD/EUR (VAT included).
In anticipation of the influx of new players, we will suspend our 15-day trial and free reactivation options on the same day. The payment model change combined with our Steam launch is a disproportionately large step for us compared to our recent years, and we want to make sure that we can provide the highest possible quality of service for the players who purchase the game.
A gift for our active players
As a thank you for supporting us over the years and helping us to get to this point, all players who had at least 3 months of game time ever(!) on their account by April 2 will receive Perpetuum for free. The 3 months can be anywhere in the past, reach into the future, be continuous or intermittent, doesn’t matter. We check for redeemed game time codes or monthly subscriptions. We also take ICE into consideration, but it’s important that we count consumed ICE items, and NOT redeemed ICE codes.
So if your account currently has had only 1 or 2 months of game time so far, this is your opportunity to extend it to 3 months and get the game for good.
The accounts that have less than 3 months of accumulated game time on April 2 will be deactivated, and can only be used again if you purchase the game for the full price.
We have set up an eligibility check on our website, so you can verify whether your account has enough months to receive a free copy or not.
EP system changes
The system most affected by the change is the EP system. It’s not being removed, and the core of the game will be kept as it has always been, however several adjustments need to be made in order to make it work.
First off, for the purpose of easier management, instead of receiving one EP every minute, players will be receiving the EP in daily packages. All accounts which own the game will accumulate Extension Points daily, however this raises the issue of older accounts having more EP without doing anything. In order to avoid the issue of inactive players gathering EP indefinitely, we’re introducing a new rule: EP will only gather on an account for three days after being last online. We’re confident that this isn’t such a big requirement for active players, but it will make sure that inactive players can be caught up to in terms of EP.
The second major change concerns the level playing field in Perpetuum. The EP system has always been one of the core systems guaranteeing that equal progress can be achieved for all players in the game. This won’t change, however we’re raising the bar a bit: for players willing to support us each month we’re introducing the EP Boost. This service will be available as an in-game purchase and will grant players a 50% boost to all EP earned for 30 days. The pricing of this service will be comparable to the monthly fee we’re replacing.
We’ll introduce a new type of currency that you’ll be able to purchase for real money - we’re simply calling it Perpetuum Credits (PC).
The following items will be available to purchase for Perpetuum Credits:
- EP booster
Activating an EP booster on your account will increase your EP acquisition rate by 50% over the normal rate for a month. It will also make sure that you receive your EP supplement for every day as long as it is active, even if you miss to log in for more than 3 days.
EP resetUPDATE: Based on your feedback and after some internal discussion, we have decided to not offer EP resets for now. The extension downgrade feature might even make a separate EP reset unnecessary, we'll see how people will use it.
Reset the extensions of a character to starting levels, and free up all the EP spent on them. The EP can then be spent again for any character on the account. The EP reset item will also free up all EP penalties caused by character deletions.
- Extension downgrade
Currently extension downgrading is only available for 30 days after an account is created. We will remove this limit, and make level-by-level downgrading for Perpetuum Credits available to everyone. Also, there will be no level limit for downgrading, you’ll be able to downgrade even from level 10, down to the starting level of the extension.
- Character rename
Makes you able to rename your character. To avoid abuse, character information windows will publicly list all past names.
- Corporation rename
Change the name and short ID of your corporation. This will be only available to CEOs and deputy CEOs.
This is only the initial list of items, and we plan to introduce some more in the future, like the long awaited robot paint option. We’d like to stress that these will be only convenience or cosmetic items - no player will get the upper hand in the game by throwing wads of cash at us.
Any subscription that spans beyond the day of the payment model switch will be converted to the appropriate amount of PC and added to the account. UPDATE: see a detailed explanation here.
We'll roll out these changes to the public test server on March 20, so you'll be able to see how this all works before it goes live.
We’d like to quickly address this as well in this blog because the plans for gammas have changed around too many times.
So if you haven’t heard about this yet, we’re going to reset gamma islands, with the necessary reimbursements. The reason for this is that we’re changing the rules for terraforming and building limits for a better gamma gameplay and balance, and unfortunately there is no way around a reset.
The initial plan was to do the reset before the Steam launch, close down gamma, and reopen it whenever we feel it’s ready. However, we have made considerable progress and we might be able to avoid a closedown. So the current plan is to do the reset and the reimbursement on the day we launch on Steam, and start right away with a revamped gamma experience. If we encounter any showstopper issues connected to this, the reset will still happen on the day of the launch, and we’ll revert to the original plan.
As for the reimbursements, the details are still being worked out, but here’s what we already know for sure:
- Reimbursing buildings and items in them is straightforward because they all have a specific owner. Items will be reimbursed as they are, either to characters (if in private storage), or to corporations (if in corporation storage). Buildings will be reimbursed by returning the foundation item and the appropriate amount of construction blocks.
- Reimbursing terraforming is the tricky part. There is simply no way to know how much or where an individual character or a corporation has terraformed. Pretty much the only thing we are able to do is a fair approximation based on gamma activity. So the plan is to check which corporations ever had a gamma terminal in the past (counted up until today, to avoid abuse), and we’ll give out a package of terraforming charges for each terminal they have ever placed.
- Both individual characters and corporations will be able to set a target terminal for the reimbursement within the game. The selection interface for this will be included in the payment model patch. If you miss to set a target terminal, we will use the TM Alpha terminal by default, so nothing will be lost.
So when will you actually launch on Steam?
- The exact date of our Steam launch will be announced on the day of the payment model patch on April the 2nd.
Will I be able to transfer Perpetuum Credits between accounts?
Will I be able to trade Perpetuum Credits in the game for NIC?
- No, but we’re keeping this option open for the future.
My account’s validity is beyond the day of the payment model switch! What will happen to my subscription after that?
- Your extra subscription time will be converted to the appropriate amount of Perpetuum Credits and added to your account. See a detailed explanation here.
How will I get my free copy of Perpetuum?
- If your account had at least 3 months of game time through the years, your Perpetuum account will automatically be converted to a lifetime account on April the 2nd. If you have less than 3 months of game time so far, you can make your account eligible for the free copy at a reduced price by purchasing the missing months in our store until April the 2nd. Check your account status page to verify its eligibility.
What will happen to unused ICE items?
- ICE will be discontinued and market orders for ICE will be cancelled during the payment model patch. Then, all ICE items in private storages and cargos will be converted to the appropriate amount of Perpetuum Credits and added to the owner's account. ICE in corporation storages will be converted and added to the account of the CEO, so make sure you move out any ICE items to personal storages if this doesn't fit for you.
What will happen to recurring subscriptions?
- All recurring subscriptions will be stopped on April the 2nd.
Feel free to ask any questions you might have in the comments and we’ll include it here! Details about the Steam launch and everything you need to know about it will be announced after April the 2nd.